Autopsy finds Serenity Deal died from an assault that caused an “acute closed head injury'
Oklahoma City girl, who was 5, also suffered “multiple additional blunt force trauma, including … rib fractures,” chief medical examiner reported.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
DHS officials have said child-welfare workers failed to follow policies and procedures in Serenity's case. The agency put four workers on administrative leave after her death. One then resigned. Another committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.
DHS is in the process of firing the other two workers.
The medical examiner's office earlier revealed Serenity died from a head injury and had other injuries. The autopsy report provides details of the extent of those injuries.
Those details include two cuts to the back of her head, extensive raised bruising of her forehead and bruising and abrasions elsewhere on her face. She had a contusion to her right upper lip.
She had four fractured right ribs and three fractured left ribs. She had bruises on her abdomen, right arm, left hand, left flank, right flank, back, bottom and legs. She had scrapes on her chin, chest, left arm, left flank, left shoulder, thigh and back.
Her brain was severely swollen.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21533Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17671Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12448Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9610Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9529Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9416Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8233Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense