Azarenka advances to semifinals at Australian Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Defending champion Victoria Azarenka has advanced to the Australian Open semifinals with a 7-5, 6-1 win over former two-time Grand Slam winner Svetlana Kuznetsova.
Azarenka broke Kuznetsova's serve in the 11th game of the 1 hour, 17-minute opening set Wednesday, then held her own service in the next game to win on her third set point when Kuznetsova netted a backhand.
Azarenka, who will play Serena Williams or Sloane Stephens in the semifinals, beat Maria Sharapova in last year's title match at Melbourne Park for her first Grand Slam.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit