Azarenka, Sharapova reach China Open semifinals
BEIJING (AP) — Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka and No. 2 Maria Sharapova advanced to the China Open semifinals on Friday.
Azarenka defeated Romina Oprandi of Switzerland 6-2, 6-0, and Sharapova beat sixth-seeded Angelique Kerber when the German retired with a right foot injury while trailing 6-0, 3-0.
"I thought we played a high level of tennis the first set and a half, and even though the score line was 6-0, 3-0, there were many games that went to deuce," Sharapova said. "She had a few break points and long games on her serve.
"I actually didn't see much of her injury. I was surprised she called the trainer and even more so when she retired quickly after that."
Sharapova has not dropped a set at the China Open. The French Open champion will next face seventh-seeded Li Na of China, who beat third-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 6-4, 6-2.
Azarenka, who won the Australian Open this year, converted all six break points she earned and will next play either ninth-seeded Marion Bartoli of France or Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
"I felt like I was playing well, and that's what gave me an advantage to go and play and have that score line after the match, but it wasn't easy," Azarenka said. "Sometimes it's important to stay tough and have that concentration to make sure that you can win every ball and every point."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say