Baby held under scalding water dies, mother jailed
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Florida authorities say the 2-month-old boy whose mother placed him under scalding water for several minutes has died.
A Pasco County sheriff's office press release says Emilio Jesus Bautista died Saturday morning at Tampa General Hospital.
His mother, 18-year-old Chekayla Dampier, is charged with child abuse causing great bodily harm. Authorities say she confessed to holding the baby under the scalding water on April 17 because he wouldn't stop crying. Dampier is being held on $150,000 bail. It was not immediately known if she has an attorney.
The case remains under investigation.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins