Bail denied for Oklahoma City pastor accused of killing son-in-law
Michael Scott Elder, 53, of Oklahoma City, is accused of fatally shooting his son-in-law during a domestic dispute. Elder is charged with first-degree murder in the Feb. 20 death of Gary Davidson, 27, who was married to Elder's daughter.
A judge on Thursday denied bail for Michael Scott Elder, the Oklahoma City pastor accused of fatally shooting his son-in-law during a domestic dispute.
Videoview all videos
Mar 7A judge on Thursday denied bail for Michael Scott Elder,...
Photoview all photos
Elder, 53, is charged with first-degree murder in the Feb. 20 death of Gary Davidson, 27, who was married to Elder's daughter.
Elder is pastor at The Cross Baptist Church, 1615 SW 96.
Defense attorney Malcolm Savage asked Oklahoma County District Judge Glenn Jones to set bail at $25,000. Savage said the shooting was justified because Elder believed his daughter's life was in danger.
The attorney called Elder a respected member of the community with no prior criminal record who should not be considered a flight risk.
Gary and April Davidson were separated at the time of the shooting near the intersection of Miller and NW 12.
Elder is accused of shooting Davidson multiple times while the estranged couple struggled for control of a truck being driven by April Davidson, according to a probable cause affidavit.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater