Bail denied for Oklahoma City pastor accused of killing son-in-law
Michael Scott Elder, 53, of Oklahoma City, is accused of fatally shooting his son-in-law during a domestic dispute. Elder is charged with first-degree murder in the Feb. 20 death of Gary Davidson, 27, who was married to Elder's daughter.
A judge on Thursday denied bail for Michael Scott Elder, the Oklahoma City pastor accused of fatally shooting his son-in-law during a domestic dispute.
Videoview all videos
Mar 7A judge on Thursday denied bail for Michael Scott Elder,...
Photoview all photos
Elder, 53, is charged with first-degree murder in the Feb. 20 death of Gary Davidson, 27, who was married to Elder's daughter.
Elder is pastor at The Cross Baptist Church, 1615 SW 96.
Defense attorney Malcolm Savage asked Oklahoma County District Judge Glenn Jones to set bail at $25,000. Savage said the shooting was justified because Elder believed his daughter's life was in danger.
The attorney called Elder a respected member of the community with no prior criminal record who should not be considered a flight risk.
Gary and April Davidson were separated at the time of the shooting near the intersection of Miller and NW 12.
Elder is accused of shooting Davidson multiple times while the estranged couple struggled for control of a truck being driven by April Davidson, according to a probable cause affidavit.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 87104Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16817OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12528Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9682Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8846Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation