A judge set bail at $175,000 Monday for a former Oklahoma City police sergeant accused of molesting his three adopted sons.
Maurice Martinez, 45, faces nine felony counts of sexual abuse as well as three other felony counts — attempting to prevent a witness from testifying, possession of child pornography and child abuse.
District Judge Donald L. Deason set bond under the conditions that Martinez be placed under house arrest, not attempt to contact any witnesses or alleged victims in the case and not to leave the state.
“(These are) very serious allegations,” Deason said. “Any violation will be dealt with swiftly.”
As of Monday evening, Martinez had not posted bail.
Last month, a preliminary hearing judge dismissed 23 of 35 felony counts that were filed against Martinez, who took care of dozens of boys over the years. His attorneys want the trial judge to dismiss all the witness counts and the conspiracy count.
Martinez, who resigned from the police department in July, also faces two misdemeanor counts — harboring an endangered runaway child and
In May, Deason rejected a defense request to allow Martinez to stay at his parents' home in Oklahoma City under strict supervision while awaiting trial. A police detective testified Martinez had threatened his accusers, witnesses, people who reported the accusations to police, state Department of Human Services personnel and herself.
Martinez had been free on $80,000 bail but was arrested a second time in April after authorities found his accuser — one of his adopted sons — in Utah.
Police accused Martinez of buying a bus ticket for the boy, who ran away from DHS custody after Martinez's first arrest.
Police said Martinez arranged for the boy to stay with someone Martinez knows to avoid testifying.
Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger told the judge Monday, “this
Also during Monday's hearing, a legal representative for two of Martinez's alleged victims, said the defendant has made a number of calls to the boys that “were inappropriate and troublesome.”
David Slane, Martinez's attorney, assured the judge “we have talked to Mr. Martinez repeatedly about not having any contact with his boys.”
Slane could not be reached for comment Monday.