Bale double earns Spurs 2-1 win over Newcastle
LONDON (AP) — Gareth Bale enhanced his burgeoning reputation by scoring twice, including a second-half winner, in Tottenham's 2-1 victory over Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday.
Having given Spurs a fifth-minute lead with a dipping free kick, the Wales winger powered through in the 78th to drive home the winning goal and ensure Spurs consolidated their position in the top four.
Bale, one of the Premier League's most exciting talents, has now scored in his last four matches in all competitions and has a career-high 13 in the league this season, almost single-handedly leading Tottenham's charge to a Champions League qualification spot.
Yoan Gouffran equalized for Newcastle in the 25th but was later carried off on a stretcher with an apparent shin injury.
Bale, who has constantly been linked with a move to Real Madrid, has now scored 10 times in his last 12 league appearances for Spurs. By adding goals to his superb all-round play, he is growing into a complete player and he was unstoppable at White Hart Lane.
Although his free kick was well struck, his first goal was avoidable as midfielder Jonas Gutierrez jumped sideways to leave a slight gap in the defensive wall. The shot dipped viciously and found the net low down at Tim Krul's near post.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit