Share “Ballet star Sergei Polunin walks out of...”

Ballet star Sergei Polunin walks out of 2nd show

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 5, 2013 at 11:09 am •  Published: April 5, 2013
Advertisement

LONDON (AP) — One of the ballet world's brightest but most volatile stars has vanished, again.

Sergei Polunin had been due to star in a dance piece based on Billy Hayes' Turkish prison memoir "Midnight Express" opening next week in London.

But director Peter Schaufuss said the 23-year-old dancer did not show up for rehearsals on Wednesday.

Schaufuss told the BBC he was "hugely disappointed" the young star had left.

"I'm really, really worried about him," the director said. "Artists have good and bad days — that goes with the territory — but rehearsals were going well."

The dance company said Polunin's mentor, Igor Zelensky, had also left the production.

Polunin's whereabouts could not immediately be determined Friday. But friend Anthony Lammin — who co-owns a London tattoo parlor with the dancer — told the Evening Standard newspaper that Polunin was OK.

"I don't know why he left the show," Lammin said. "We have been texting each other during the last few days. He's fine and is doing well."

Ukraine-born Polunin became the youngest-ever male principal dancer at Britain's Royal Ballet when he was 19, but walked out of the company last year, saying he was giving up dance.

Continue reading this story on the...