OU LB Mike Balogun continues legal battle

FROM STAFF and WIRE REPORTS Published: August 23, 2009
Mike Balogun’s attorney has filed three more affidavits in Cleveland County District Court in hopes of showing that the University of Oklahoma linebacker did not play semi-pro football after turning 21.

The Tulsa World reported Saturday that Norman attorney Woody Glass filed the affidavits in advance of a Monday hearing where Balogun hopes a permanent injunction will allow him to play for OU this season.

Balogun was awarded a temporary injunction last week that has allowed him to practice with the team despite the NCAA’s decertification of his eligibility on Aug. 14.

In the affidavits obtained by the Tulsa World, three people say Balogun didn’t play semi-pro ball after turning 21:

→James Walsh, a coach for an all-star game for small college and semi-pro players, says Balogun didn’t play in the 2004 All-American Bowl, despite being named on Mid-AmericaFootball.com as a 2004 all-star linebacker.

→John Phillips, a statistician for 2005 NAFL2 championship game in Orlando, said roster and even jersey information is often incorrect and unreliable within the league, and that "rosters ... were likely inaccurate and players I mentioned in the game report likely did not play in the game.” Balogun was listed on SemiProFootball.org as playing in the 2005 NAFL2 championship game.