Makes 8 servingsYearwood writes in the book that Garth Brooks prefers this pudding without the meringue, so she usually makes two versions — one with and one without the meringue.
NewsOK Related Articles
•Separate the yolks from the whites of 3 eggs. Set aside the whites. In the top of a double boiler, whisk together ½ cup of the sugar, the flour and the salt. Stir in the whole egg and the 3 yolks, and then stir in the milk.
•Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
•Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread a thin layer of pudding in a 1½-quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. Thinly slice the bananas crosswise, about 1/8-inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Spread 1/3 of the remaining pudding over the bananas, and continue layering wafers, bananas and pudding, ending with pudding.
•To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining ¼ cup sugar and continue beating until the whites will not slide out of the mixing bowl when it is tilted. Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few decorative peaks on top, and bake for 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.•Source: "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen” by Trisha Yearwood.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena