Barnes suspended for Clippers' opener
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Matt Barnes will miss the Los Angeles Clippers' season opener on Wednesday night while serving a one-game suspension issued by the NBA after he pleaded no contest last month to a misdemeanor for resisting, delaying or obstructing a police officer.
He was arrested in Manhattan Beach in July on suspicion of threatening a public official, which is a felony. The 32-year-old forward was arrested after an officer who was aware he had an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor traffic violation approached him on foot.
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office chose to file a misdemeanor and it agreed to a deal on the lesser charge.
Barnes signed with the Clippers during the offseason after playing the last two seasons with the Lakers.
The Clippers host the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday night.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister