Barons fall in overtime after late rally to tie
After trailing Toronto 4-0, OKC rallied to force the extra period, but the Marlies came out on top on Field Trip Day.
NewsOK Related Articles
The Barons tied the franchise record with four power-play goals in the game, but Toronto won it with 27.8 seconds left in overtime, two seconds after the Barons had killed off a penalty.
OKC outshot the Marlies 34-19 in regulation but didn't dent into Toronto's early four-goal lead until Hall scored late in the second period. Mark Arcobello's power play goal early in the third period cut it to 4-2. The Marlies answered with a power-play goal to go up 5-2 with 12:50 remaining.
It appeared to be a safe lead, especially with four minutes left. The Barons, though, scored three late goals in a three-minute span to tie it up.
“The second period I thought we really took it to them,” Eberle said. “Going into the third period it was 4-1, but I thought it should at least been 4-3. We were getting a lot of chances. We just couldn't score. We knew it was going to come. We stuck with it and found a way to tie it up.”
Toronto scored 36 just seconds into the game and built a 4-0 cushion with three goals in the final 2½ minutes of the first period, taking advantage of OKC's backside defensive mistakes.
“It's obvious we can't give up a four-goal lead in the first period,” Nelson said. “Two goals was our coverage, guys being lazy. ... Our offensive play was pretty strong. Obviously our power play was working. We battled back to get a point, so there were some positives.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22069Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17657Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12691Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10660Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10002Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9693Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures