Barons notebook: Coach Todd Nelson, Barons All-Stars face long trip for game
After Sunday's game, the Barons coach was going to hit the road with Ryan Keller, Philippe Cornet, Alex Plante and Yann Danis.
Because the American Hockey League All-Star Game's skill competition is Sunday, Barons coach Todd Nelson, who is coaching the Western Conference team, and the other four Barons in the game had to leave immediately following Saturday night's contest against the Stars.
NewsOK Related Articles
They were driving to Dallas and then catching a flight to Philadelphia, where they were going to drive to Atlantic City, N.J.
“I am going to get one of the players to drive,” Nelson said.
Ryan Keller nominated Philippe Cornet, who is starting in the All-Star game along with teammate Alex Plante.
“Cornet is the youngest,” Keller said. “I am going on that.”
The other Barons' All-Star is goalie Yann Danis.
WATCH PARTY AT BUFFALO WILD WINGS
Monday night's All-Star game will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest Plus. Game time is 6 p.m. in Oklahoma.
The Barons are holding an All-Star game watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings on Northwest Expressway.
POWER PLAY POWERFUL AGAIN
Nelson said the Barons' special teams have been the most important aspect of his club's play in the current win streak.
The Barons were 1 for 5 on the power play Saturday night and 4 for 4 in penalty kills. The Barons have scored four power-play goals in their last five games after a long stretch of struggling on the power play.
“Special teams are key in today's game,” he said. “If we can keep that going we ought to have success down the stretch.”
BACK HOME THURSDAY
The Barons return to action in the Cox Convention Center on Thursday against the San Antonio Rampage.
Oklahoma City concludes its four-game homestand on Friday against the Charlotte Checkers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law