Barons notebook: OKC hosts Grand Rapids again Saturday night
The Barons and Grand Rapids Griffins meet again at 7 p.m. Saturday inside the Cox Convention Center. OKC has nine Friday-Saturday home dates this season, and this is the first.
Barons coach Todd Nelson said in some ways he treats back-to-back games against the same opponent as a playoff scenario.
“You break down the tape a bit, see if there are some tweaks we can make to our game,” Nelson said.
OKC goaltender Yann Danis said of back-to-backs: “You definitely have to set the tone the first game, and I think we did that tonight, but you know they're going to come back tomorrow and want to win even more. We're definitely going to have to be ready.”
The Barons will be home again next Friday night to face Charlotte at 7. OKC then travels to Houston next Saturday and San Antonio on Oct. 30.
DANIS IS DYNAMITE
In the Barons' season-opening 7-0 loss at Texas, Danis surrendered four goals in just 28 minutes.
He sat out the second game, and since then Danis has given up just two goals in the last 180 minutes.
“He's a very calming presence,” Nelson said of Danis. “When you watch him play, he's always in a good position. He's not really acrobatic, though he does make some acrobatic saves when he has to. He's a very calming presence for our defense because he's always in position when the puck hits him. He makes saves look easy, and that's a very good thing for our young defense.”
When Grand Rapids scored at 5:27 in the first period to tie the score at 1, it ended 84 minutes and two seconds of shutout time for Danis.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss