Barons notebook: Teammates pick up Yann Danis
Veteran Barons goaltender Yann Danis had a game he would like to forget Saturday night, but his teammates scored six third-period goals to rally for a 7-5 win.
Grand Rapids defenseman Brett Skinner, trying to kill a penalty, scored a shorthanded goal on a 130-foot shot from his own defensive zone late in the first period. Danis' stick initially stopped the puck, but the crowd of 4,277 gasped when it trickled slowly past the goal line.
“You see that about once a year,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “It even happens up in the National (Hockey) League.”
Danis allowed another soft goal that helped the Griffins lead 3-1 after two periods. Trying to keep a play alive, Gustav Nyquist poked at the puck in the crease. Once again, it trickled through Danis' legs.
“I'm sure he would like to have this (game) back,” Nelson said. “He's saved our bacon a lot of times. Tonight our guys pulled together and saved his.”
It was Danis' first start in a month. His only action since a Jan. 12 start with the Barons was playing the final two periods of Edmonton's lopsided loss to San Jose three weeks ago during his stint with the NHL club.
BARONS HAVE A REVAMPED DEFENSE
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims