Barons Q&A with: rookie defenseman Mike Marcou
The University of Massachusetts alum will play in Oklahoma City for the first time on Tuesday night.
New Barons defenseman Mike Marcou talks about his American Hockey League debut, playing at Fenway Park and his preference in pre-game candy. Marcou signed an amateur tryout contract with Oklahoma City and made his professional debut March 30 at Milwaukee after finishing his senior season at UMass. He will likely play his first game in Oklahoma City at 7 p.m. Tuesday when the Barons host the Hamilton Bulldogs in the Cox Center.
NewsOK Related Articles
Q: Had you ever been to Oklahoma before this week?
A: “No, never. I played in the USHL (U.S. Junior Hockey League) with Iowa and sort of went all around the upper Midwest but never down this far. I like it so far, though. I didn't really know what to expect.”
What was it like making your American Hockey League debut over the weekend, and did having a brother (James) who had been through that before help?
“It was great. It's a great opportunity and something I've looked forward to my whole life. It's different from the way the college game is played. I'm glad to get this experience this year. My brother definitely gave me some tips and explained to me how different things were. He plays in Worcester, which is only an hour away from UMass, and we only played on Friday and Saturday so I was able to make it over to some of those games.”
What was the biggest adjustment in styles?
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 34808Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 28627Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6992Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6680OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4639Tornadoes hit Kan., Okla.; no injuries reported
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3855Student shot dead during botched home invasion