Baseball: Oklahoma State wins slugfest; Oklahoma sweeps doubleheader
OSU outslugs New Mexico
Jarrett Higgins drove in Gage Green with the winning run in the 13th inning as the Oklahoma State baseball team improved to 2-0 with a 15-14 win over New Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M., Saturday.
OSU's Randy McCurry worked 5 2/3 innings of scoreless relief to get the win. He was OSU's eighth pitcher of the day. New Mexico's Will Mathis took the loss.
Zach Fish was 3 for 7 with four RBIs as the Cowboys pounded out 19 hits. Aaron Cornell and Donnie Walton had three hits apiece for OSU, which finishes the series with the Lobos at 2 p.m. Sunday.
OU sweeps a pair from Hofstra
Oklahoma swept a doubleheader from Hofstra at Mitchell Park. The Sooners won 3-2 and 11-10 in 11 innings.
OU junior right-hander Jonathan Gray struck out six batters in 6 2/3 innings to pick up the win in Game 1. Junior second baseman Hector Lorenzana blasted a home run to left field in the fourth inning.
In Game 2, Craig Akin scored when Jack Mayfield's fly ball was dropped in the outfield to give the Sooners an extra-inning win.
Matt Oberste and Dylan Neal drove in two runs apiece for the Sooners.
The teams conclude the series at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M