Batali's NYC eatery Del Posto settles with workers

Associated Press Modified: September 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm •  Published: September 24, 2012
Advertisement
;

NEW YORK (AP) — Workers at celebrity chef Mario Batali's New York City eatery Del Posto have settled a lawsuit against the restaurant with an agreement that gives them $1.15 million, as well as paid vacation and sick days for them and fellow employees.

The Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York, an advocacy group that had been working with the 31 employees and has targeted restaurants over their employment practices before, announced Monday that a judge had approved the settlement. The workers had sued in October 2010, accusing the restaurant of depriving them of some of their tips and overtime. In announcing the settlement, the group said Del Posto and its principals denied the workers' allegations.

A lawyer for Del Posto declined to comment on the settlement

Jonathan Bernstein, a lawyer for the workers, said the agreement now gives all non-managerial employees at Del Posto, not just the plaintiffs, three paid sick days and five paid vacation days per year. He said the settlement also said that workers who get vacation or sick days approved aren't responsible for finding people to work for them in their absence.

"It's a very big step up," he said, adding that having no paid sick or vacation days is common for workers in the industry.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    George Clooney rejects Mail apology
  2. 2
    Bomb threat at Lexington Correctional facilities under investigation
  3. 3
    LeBron James returning to Cleveland Cavaliers
  4. 4
    North Korea Complains to UN About Seth Rogen Movie
  5. 5
    Toker Fired After Legally Smoking Pot Has His Job Back
+ show more