Baylor hesitant to heap too much praise on Oklahoma State
OSU 59, BAYLOR 24 — Baylor players and coaches praise the Cowboys, but don't get carried away in doing so. Said one Bear, “That's right there is a very solid team.”
STILLWATER – Oklahoma State's surge toward national title contention offers no news flash to Art Briles.
The Baylor coach, whose Bears were blistered 59-24 by OSU Saturday, said he's seen it coming.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 88 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“They've certainly been good the last three years,” Briles said. “They didn't just all of a sudden get good. They've been a top 10 team the last three years, no doubt.”
Top 10, perhaps, although the final polls haven't necessarily reflected it.
And these Cowboys aim even higher, and currently reside in a more exclusive neighborhood than they're accustomed, holding the No. 3 spot in the BCS Standings.
“They've done nothing to make anybody feel like they're not deserving of their ranking,” Briles said.
Baylor players, at least the veteran Bears who have been around long enough to come face-to-face with past BCS bunches like Texas and Oklahoma and TCU, were hesitant to heap too much praise on the Cowboys. Despite Saturday's blowout, which saw them down 42-0 just 1:50 into the third quarter, the Bears pointed more fingers at themselves than OSU, due to their five turnovers.
“This is a good team. I thought we helped them out a lot today,” said Baylor running back Terrance Ganaway.
Said Bears quarterback Robert Griffin III: “It's not that they're not a great team. They came out and did what they had to do. (We) can't be in goal-line situations — I think four times — and not get any points.”
But that's where the Cowboys sucker teams, surrendering yards, but preventing points with their takeaway defense.
“If they keep getting those, they'll keep winning,” Briles said.
And they do keep getting them. The Pokes have now claimed 26 turnovers over the past six games, having entered Saturday ranked second nationally in takeaways.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers