CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne and Roush Fenway Racing are bringing the No. 6 car back to Sprint Cup fulltime next season.
Bayne and owner Jack Roush announced the move Saturday before Sprint Cup practice for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
"This is obviously the biggest news I've ever had in my life," said Bayne, 23. "Although we've had some big news before, this takes the cake."
Roush said his organization is open to running four teams next year, but said plans for 2015 were not set. He did not have any updates on continuing negotiations with the program's two biggest stars in Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle.
"The fact we've taken the No. 6 car indicates we have plans open for a fourth car" next season, Roush said. "But it's still in a state of flux and we'll have more to announce on that later."
A month ago at Darlington, Biffle said his contract talks were progressing well and he anticipated finishing the deal in the near future. Edwards has been less committal in his comments about remaining with Roush Fenway past this season.
Edwards has raced fulltime for Roush since 2005, picking up 22 victories. Biffle's in his 11th full season with the "Cat In The Hat" and has 19 wins for the program. Edwards has Roush's lone victory this year at Bristol Motor Speedway in March.
RFR President Steve Newmark said the company understood the interest in their stars' status, but would not detail contract negotiations.
"My hope is we'll have something on both of those in the near future," he said.
Right now, Roush Fenway has two of its drivers ready for 2015 with Ricky Stenhouse Jr. on board along with Bayne, who won Daytona in 2011. His best showing in four Sprint Cup races this season was 19th place at Texas Motor Speedway last month.
Continue reading this story on the...