BCBG's spring look marries contrast and strength
NEW YORK (AP) — There was high contrast on the catwalk Thursday at the BCBG Max Azria runway show, with leather harnesses sharing the stage — and sometimes the same outfit — with lingerie lace.
And, as is often the case as New York Fashion Week kicked off eight days of previews of next season's styles, the BCBG collection seemed to offer an early indicator for trends.
Fluid silhouettes were tempered by the tough texture of the leather, and soft, draped crepe fabrics were strong thanks to the graphic black-and-white roots of the palette.
Azria explained that he aimed to capture the allure of femme fatales and the sharpness of Helmut Newton's photography. "A cool combination of work wear and lingerie is offset by sculptural leather harnesses, while fluid silhouettes, elongated proportions and weightless fabrics embody the seductive allure of the season," he said in his notes for editors, stylists and retailers,
It's important for this line to make a strong impression because it's the first marquee show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Azria said in a backstage interview. "It has to have substance as the first big show. ... I don't want you to forget it."
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims