Share “Beach Boys' Wilson: Band dustup 'bummed me...”

Beach Boys' Wilson: Band dustup 'bummed me out'

Associated Press Modified: October 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm •  Published: October 9, 2012
Advertisement

Earlier this year, the band released a new album that debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200.

Love's news release ended those feelings, though. It came just before the Beach Boys were to play the last of 75 50th anniversary shows late last month in London. Love wrote in an article that the 50th anniversary tour was always finite and that the new dates in smaller venues had long been set for the lineup toured by him.

"To avoid public confusion, and at the request of Brian's representative, we had a press release sent out detailing the differences between the two Beach Boys tours and its varying lineups," wrote Love, who noted that over a decade ago he was granted an exclusive license to tour as the "Beach Boys." ''I was surprised that Brian and Al said they were surprised by this announcement. Some media outlets interpreted all of this as me firing the band."

Wilson says the expectation was that both sides would help craft and approve the news release. That didn't happen and now he thinks it's Love's turn to reach out.

"That's it in a nutshell, all these conversations need to be between the shareholders, and I welcome Mike to call me," he wrote.

___

Online:

http://thebeachboys.com