Share “Bears rally to force OT but lose to...”

Bears rally to force OT but lose to Cowboys 69-67

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm •  Published: February 6, 2013

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — It was an off-hand comment by Baylor coach Scott Drew, but it summarized the mood of his team Wednesday night.

"You'll sleep better tonight than I will," Drew said as he was leaving his postgame press conference.

The Bears rallied from 14 points down to force overtime, twice led No. 22 Oklahoma State by three points in the extra period and had the ball with a chance to win in the final 10 seconds — and still lost.

Oklahoma State's Michael Cobbins blocked a shot by A.J. Walton and Markel Brown grabbed the basketball and steamed toward the other basket, laying it in with two-tenths of a second left to give the Cowboys a 69-67 win.

"I think everybody saw a great game for TV," Drew said. "It was a typical Big 12 game — two teams battling out there. It stinks to be on this end of it. I'm proud of the guys, how we fought back and gave ourselves a chance to win. Credit Oklahoma State for making a big block and having the court awareness to get a shot at the other end."

Baylor (14-8, 5-4 Big 12) lost its third straight game, its longest losing streak since dropping six straight games in 2009. Pierre Jackson, the Big 12's leading scorer, had 24 points, 16 of those in the game's final 12½ minutes, and added eight assists to pad his conference lead in that category. But he also committed 11 of the Bears' 16 turnovers.

"I think I played a horrible first half," Jackson said. "I didn't take care of the ball at all, but I have great teammates. They kept me positive throughout the whole game. I was able to knock down some big shots. I just needed to do something for my team. I didn't provide much early. There was eventually a time when they called on me and I tried to deliver."

Marcus Smart scored 14 points, albeit on 4-of-21 shooting, and Brown added 13 for Oklahoma State (16-5, 6-3), which extended its winning streak to four games despite shooting 36.1 percent from the field (26 of 72) and 14.3 percent from 3-point range (3 of 21).

"It was just a very gutsy performance by our guys," Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford said. "I thought they hung in there. We've figured out some crazy ways to win games lately."

Crazy would be an apt term to describe the game's frantic final moments. Cobbins blocked Walton's shot attempt with about six seconds left.

"I figured we had come too far to just give up a layup right there at the end," Cobbins said. "I just went up and tried to get it and thank God I got it."

Continue reading this story on the...