LONDON (AP) — David Beckham's representatives on Friday ruled out the former England captain moving to an Australian club as uncertainty surrounds his future at the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Football Federation Australia had claimed it had received an approach by an agent representing the 37-year-old midfielder to play some matches with an A-League team this season.
Despite the FFA claiming that talks were at a "preliminary stage," Beckham's representatives denied it.
"There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player," Beckham's management company said in a statement. "There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia. David is completely focused on the MLS playoffs and winning another championship with the Galaxy."
Beckham joined the Galaxy in 2007 after a career at Manchester United and Real Madrid turned him into one of football's biggest stars.
He signed a two-year deal with the Galaxy in January, but has yet to commit to playing next season in Major League Soccer.
The current campaign ends in two weeks and Beckham indicated last month that he would "see how this body feels after the playoffs" before committing to playing another season.
The Galaxy is one match away from securing its third MLS Cup appearance in four years after the defending champions beat the Seattle Sounders 3-0 in the first leg of the MLS Western Conference finals. The second leg is Sunday in Seattle.
The denial about moving to Australia came after FFA chief executive David Gallop went public with details of the apparent direct talks to bring him to Australia on a short-term basis.
"I spoke to the player's agent today and said to him it would be fantastic," Gallop told Australian broadcaster Fox Sports. "There would be some hoops to jump through. Clubs need to come forward and be the first point of contact.