Becky Varner: Wrap it Up, I'll Take It
Dietician Becky Varner puts a new spin on the wrap.
Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad Wrap
Makes 6 servings
1 pound skinned chicken breasts
¼ cup Miracle Whip Light
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
3 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
6 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
• Place chicken breasts in a large pan of hot water and heat water to a gentle simmer. Cook chicken breasts 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is completely done. Remove chicken from stock and when cool enough to handle chop in a food processor or using a sharp knife. Cover and refrigerate.
• Meanwhile combine Miracle Whip Light, lemon juice, basil, mustard and honey in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend. Add chopped chicken breast and stir to mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
• To assemble wraps, spread each tortilla with 1/3 cup of chicken salad. Arrange ½ cup fresh spinach leaves on each. Start rolling the tortilla on one side and continue until completely rolled. Secure with a couple of decorative toothpicks and cut in half to serve.
Nutrition Information: This recipe makes 6 wraps. Each wrap contains approximately 233 calories and 4.6 grams fat.
Serving Suggestions: We served our wrap with a cluster of beautiful purple grapes, cabbage slaw and garnished it with green leaf lettuce and lemon slices.
Shrimp Salad in a Romaine Lettuce Wrap
Makes 4 servings
¼ cup Miracle Whip Light
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 cups frozen cooked shrimp, defrosted (8 ounces defrosted weight), and drained
1 medium avocado, seed removed, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
8 Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
• In a medium bowl combine Miracle Whip Light, black pepper and paprika and stir to mix well. Add red bell pepper and shrimp and stir.
• Pour lemon juice in a small cup. Add avocado and toss to coat with lemon juice. This will keep the avocado from turning dark.
• Add to shrimp mixture and toss gently.
• Place four Romaine lettuce leaves on flat surface and then place a second leaf on top of each to make stronger. Divide shrimp mixture on each.
• Roll edges on the stem end of lettuce leaves to the middle and overlap the opposite side to form a cone shape. Leave the top part of the lettuce leaves open to show the shrimp salad. Secure with decorative toothpicks.
Nutrition information: This recipe makes 4 servings. Each serving contains approximately 139 calories and 9 grams fat.
Serving suggestions: We served ours with watermelon wedges, tomato slices and two thin whole grain flat buns with melted part skim mozzarella cheese.
Learn with Lunch
Becky will teach Learn with Lunch at noon Tuesday at the Buy For Less at 2500 N Pennsylvania Ave. For reservations, call 302-6273, ext. 332.
Pita bread can simply be folded in half over the filling.
Layer two or three sturdy lettuce or cabbage leaves for more stability when using for the wrap. Place filling on the leaves and roll the stem end inward and overlapping to form a cone. Secure with decorative toothpicks.
Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl for easy assembly.
We have two wraps modified to be healthier. The first is Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad wrap made lower in fat by substituting ¼ cup Miracle Whip Light for the ¼ cup olive oil called for in the original recipe. This reduced the calories in each wrap by 67 and the fat grams by 8. We also used a whole wheat tortilla instead of a refined flour tortilla.
The other is Shrimp Salad in Romaine Lettuce. We modified this recipe by using ¼ cup Miracle Whip Light instead of ¼ cup of mayonnaise. This reduced each wrap by 80 calories and 10 grams fat.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes