Bedlam basketball: This is what Bedlam's supposed to be like
After several seasons of dud games in the series, the Cowboys defeated the Sooners in a classic Saturday, with a full crowd at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Videoview all videos
Feb 16Le'Bryan Nash scored OSU's first seven points in...
Photoview all 30 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Then Romero Osby rose up and hit a silky smooth jumper.
Then Marcus Smart made a ridiculously tough shot off the glass.
And all the while, the Gallagher-Iba crowd roared. This was a sellout, which has become rare for the Cowboys, but more than that, it was a packed house. People bought tickets and used them.
Before the game, lines of fans snaked around the arena. It was such a scene that word about how many folks were out there made its way into the Cowboys coaches' inner pregame sanctum. Someone came in and told Ford that the line was past the Wrestling Hall of Fame.
It was a great scene, even for the Sooners.
“As a basketball player, you live for that,” Osby said. “Just wish we could've come out with a win.”
The Sooners were only a couple plays from it.
They trailed by one with a little less than a minute left in overtime. Sam Grooms, having the game of his career, was bringing the ball up court when Brown picked his pocket. Poked the ball clean away.
Even after Michael Cobbins scored an easy two, the Sooners still had a chance to tie the game.
That's when Smart came up with another one of those big plays. He forced a jump ball when he blocked Steven Pledger's shot, then held on for dear life.
A few moments later, the Cowboy faithful was flooding the court and the celebration was on.
“I think the atmosphere was great,” Grooms said. “I haven't been around for that long, but from my understanding, it felt like an old Bedlam game.”
That it did.
Felt like an oldie and a goody.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit