Bedlam overtakes Oklahoma-Texas as Big 12's most anticipated football game
The most anticipated football game in the new-look Big 12 is not Oklahoma-Texas.
Never thought I'd see the day.
That's what I wrote in 2008, when I first ranked every Big 12 game, a ploy to help us all get through the summer. Don't know it helps anybody else, but helps me pass the time until September.
Videoview all videos
Jun 7The Oklahoman's Jake Trotter caught up with Steele to...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Anyway, I ranked OU-Texas No. 1 going into 2008 and wrote “always the league's marquee game.”
Not always. In summer 2011, the most-anticipated Big 12 football game is Bedlam. OSU-OU in Stillwater on Dec. 3.
Maybe it would be different if the Sooners had to play at Texas A&M, which ranks with the Cowboys as the chief threats to OU's title quest. Maybe it would be different if Mack Brown had a quarterback. Maybe it would be different if Nebraska hadn't bolted to the Big Ten.
But they don't, he doesn't and it did.
Heck, we saw the first cracks in the OU-Texas dominance just last summer.
Last June, I wrote of OU-Texas, “Maybe some year, this won't be the league's most-anticipated game. But not this year.”
I was wrong. Within a week, the Big 12 was disintegrating, and while all the king's horses and all the king's men put the league back together, it did so without the Cornhuskers.
By mid-June, the Nebraska-Texas game had become a Husker holy war and clearly the Big 12's marquee game.
Bedlam is no holy war. No more so than usual, anyway. It's just a magnificent matchup to contemplate, almost six months out.
In-state rivals, with a recent history of majestic games in Stillwater, both sporting top-shelf quarterbacks and All-American receivers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say