Bedlam soccer: Cowgirls, Sooners battle to 1-1 draw
Renae Cuellar's Big 12-best ninth goal of the season helps Sooners salvage a tie in Stillwater
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State failed in its redemption attempt against Oklahoma on Sunday night at the Cowgirl Soccer Complex. The No. 17-ranked Cowgirls had to settle for a 1-1 tie with the Sooners before 1,781 fans.
The teams played Sept. 7 in Norman, and OU came away with a 1-0 victory that did not count toward the Big 12 standings. On Sunday, the match was an official conference game. Little was determined other than OSU (10-3-1 overall, 1-2-1 Big 12) and OU (4-6-4, 0-2-2) are pretty even despite respective season records.
“It's a bitter feeling, but it's better than a loss,” said OSU goalkeeper AD Franch, who made a career-high 10 saves. “We can learn from it and go forward and play Texas now.”
Oklahoma State led 1-0 at the 38th minute when freshman Delaney Kiely headed Taylor Mathews' corner kick past Sooners goalkeeper Kelsey Devonshire. Just over a minute into the second half, Renae Cuellar ripped a 20-yard shot behind Franch to tie the match. Cuellar, who leads the Big 12 with nine goals, almost gave OU the win in the first overtime. But Franch stopped Cuellar's penalty kick attempt.
OSU will play Texas in Austin at 7 p.m. Friday. OU is idle until noon Sunday at Virginia Tech.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort