Bedlam win would be way out of the wilderness for OU
Not even two years have passed since Oklahoma played for a national championship.
It seems like longer.
The months since then have been tough. A never-ending rash of injuries led to a five-loss season a year ago. A possible return to glory has been derailed by serious road problem this season.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 88 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Forty years of wandering in the wilderness, it isn't, but still, this hasn't been a two-year era flowing with milk and honey either.
But win on Saturday at Oklahoma State, and all will be right with the Soonerites.
Consider what a Bedlam victory would mean to OU â€“ validation that the road woes are a thing of the past, victories against rivals Texas and OSU in the same season for the first time since 2007, a Big 12 South title and a trip to the conference championship title game.
The Sooners have played for the Big 12 title seven times in the past decade. Going back to the championship game would be familiar. Playing again the first weekend of December would be comforting.
It would also be a chance to say goodbye to longtime rival and Big Ten wannabe Nebraska, the likely North Division rep.
A fitting parting gift?
Perhaps a swift kick in the backside, just for old time's sake.
But before the Sooner Nation starts making plans for a big-red reunion, there's this serious matter of Bedlam.
Winning in Stillwater is going to take a big-time effort and a high-level performance. There have been plenty of years when OU has taken a superior team to OSU and struggled.
2006: The Fiesta Bowl team squeaked by OSU, 27-21. Lendy Holmes tipped a potential game-winning touchdown pass away from D'Juan Woods on the final play of the game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister