Bedlam women's basketball: Sooners pull away late in win over Oklahoma State
Sharane Campbell leads Sooners, who pull away late for an 80-61 win over Oklahoma State on Sunday at Lloyd Noble Center.
NORMAN — Sharane Campbell stays mindful of the specific areas in her game needing improvement.
“If there’s an element of her game that’s not where it should be ... she’s gonna work at it until it becomes a strength,” said OU coach Sherri Coale.
Videoview all videos
Feb 10Nicole Griffin dominated in the post, scoring a game-high...
Photoview all 17 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Campbell’s 15 points and 12 rebounds Sunday in the Sooners’ 80-61 rout of Oklahoma State provided more evidence of her knack for fine tuning her skills.
OU — most notably, junior guard Aaryn Ellenberg — struggled to make shots as the Cowgirls (16-6 overall, 5-6 Big 12) grabbed early momentum.
The Sooners (18-5, 8-3) were 0 for 4 from beyond the arc and trailed 12-7 after seven minutes, when Campbell hit OU’s only successful 3-point attempt of the first half.
The former Star Spencer High School standout also gave Oklahoma its first lead on a jumper with about four minute left in the first half.
Campbell is shooting 50 percent from 3-point range during Big 12 play; she was 2 of 18 on such shots in nonconference games.
“I’ve been focusing on my left hand more than my 3,” Campbell said. “I guess it just comes along with it. I’m just gonna keep working on my left hand.”
But she’s also worked hard to improve her rebounding. Of Campbell’s 12 boards Sunday, four of them came on the offensive end.
One of Whitney Hand’s most valuable skills came from her ability to crash the offensive boards; Coale said Campbell’s improvement there helps make up for Hand’s absence, caused by her career-ending ACL tear in early December.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M