Ben Affleck has been cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel, and this has the Internet in a tizzy. Some people like the idea. Others, not so much.
Personally, I’m iffy about it, and that’s because I immediately think of these things:
- I remember “Daredevil.”
- I remember the studios thinking an A-list celebrity was the answer when they cast George Clooney for “Batman and Robin.”
- I saw “Man of Steel.”
- David Goyer and Zack Snyder (mostly Snyder).
However, I’m also intrigued because:
- This probably means we will no longer see the Batman we did in the Christopher Nolan trilogy, and that could be a good thing.
- This new Batman will set the tone for the upcoming “Justice League” movie, and the Warner Bros./DC Universe in general.
- Ben Affleck is a wild card.
In any case, here is how I imagine a number of comic book characters reacting to the news.
Robin wasn’t too thrilled.
And neither was Batman himself.
The Joker was loving it, though.
Bat’s friends? Eh…
The guys at Marvel were even taken aback by the news.
The X-Men were having nothing of it.
And fellow billionaire playboy Tony Stark (aka Iron Man) took it pretty hard.
And, finally, Bruce Wayne’s best bud: Alfred. He was most dramatic.