Berry Tramel: Josh Heupel will go with what works best for Sooners
NORMAN — We've reached Spring Game week in Oklahoma. Which means Josh Heupel's offense will be back on display.
Heupel's debut as Bob Stoops' offensive chief was quite interesting. Heupel ordered up 49 passes in a Fiesta Bowl rout of Connecticut. In a game OU dominated and led comfortably most of the game, Heupel's pass/run ratio was way higher than all but two Kevin Wilson games: the losses to Missouri and Texas A&M, when the Sooners trailed most of the way.
Videoview all videos
Apr 12Jenni Carlson and Jake Trotter talk about Saturday's...
Apr 12Should Oklahoma or Oklahoma State still play a game...
Apr 8OU vs OSU will be played Dec. 3, 2011. The Oklahoman's...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
One of three things explains Heupel's pass-happiness:
1. UConn's defense prompted such a game plan.
2. Heupel is the same kind of wing-it coordinator he was as a wing-it quarterback for the early Stoops Sooners.
3. Fun in the sun. Just letting the guys have a good time in the desert.
“It wasn't having fun in the sun,” Heupel said with a chuckle. “That's probably not how we're going to do things around here.”
No, probably not. But while Heupel said Landry Jones' 49 throws indeed were the result of UConn's defensive structure, Stoops said it probably was a little of all three.
The fun-in-the-sun was really just fun-in-the-interview room. And of course, defensive structure will decide offensive attack. So this really comes down to a simple question.
Will Heupel's philosophy differ dramatically from Kevin Wilson's?
Will Heupel's background — more than spread-it-out, air-it-out than Wilson's — mean a new look for the Sooner offense?
“We're going to be very similar to what we've always done,” Stoops said. “In the spring, you evaluate and see what players are really going to do what. You try to play to your players' strengths. What your quarterback does best. From there, your tailback.”
Heupel has the same quarterback, Landry Jones, as Wilson used the previous two years. Tailback will be a change, with DeMarco Murray gone.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims