Berry Tramel: Sooner basketball can do better, deserves better
NORMAN — Easy decision for Joe Castiglione. Hard message to deliver, but easy decision.
Sooner basketball is better than this.
Better than 13-18 and 14-18. Better than giving NCAA detectives cause to investigate again. Better than hoping things improve to an NIT level. Better than looking up at Texas A&M and Kansas State and Missouri.
Videoview all videos
Mar 14After listening to OU A.D. Joe Castiglione explain why he...
Mar 14Watch the entire press conference, as University of...
Mar 14Oklahoma has fired basketball coach Jeff Capel. The...
Photoview all 20 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
This isn't 1976. For the better part of the last 30 years, OU has run with the big boys of college hoops. This is not a program that should pretend bad basketball is acceptable.
So Castiglione did the right thing Monday and released Jeff Capel from his contract, which announced to the nation that the Sooners have no intention of surrendering their hoops status.
“There's every reason to believe we will be successful again,” the Sooner athletic director said.
OU is a top-25 program historically. Not top 10. Not top 15. But top 25. OU has 35 NCAA Tournament wins in its history; that's tied for 21st nationally. OU has played 61 NCAA Tournament games; that's tied for 23rd.
The Sooners won big under Bruce Drake and Billy Tubbs and Kelvin Sampson and even Capel himself. So back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since 1967, in a sport where power-conference schools have all the advantages, is not acceptable.
And the idea that OU should have held on to Capel because no one of substance would want the job, well, that's just silly. All kinds of quality coaches will be attracted to the position and the paycheck that goes with it.
Castiglione called the job “attractive. The University of Oklahoma is special ... great tradition, state-of-the-art facilities. It's a place where people can win.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17743Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11674Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10443Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10260OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10191Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9850Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9805Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments