Bethany man accused of exposing himself to Sonic carhop
John P. Dougherty, 22, told Bethany police he was changing clothes in his car when carhop saw him with his pants pulled down
An Oklahoma City man is accused of exposing himself to a carhop at a Sonic drive-in in Bethany, police said.
John P. Dougherty, 22, was charged Thursday in Oklahoma County District Court with indecent exposure, a felony.
The female worker told a Bethany police detective that when she walked up to Dougherty's vehicle about 1 p.m. June 20, she observed him masturbating, according to a probable cause affidavit.
The worker said the man's pants were pulled down around his thighs, police reported.
The worker told her manager she did not wish to finish the transaction. When the manager went outside to get the man's license plate number he drove off, the detective reported.
Police were able to identify Dougherty by his credit card number, his license plate number and a physical description, and interviewed him the same day.
Dougherty admitted being at Sonic and told the detective he was trying to change from his workout clothes to his work clothes in the car, according to the affidavit.
“Everything was a big misunderstanding,” he said.
Dougherty told police he had come from the gym, but when police called the gym to verify his story a representative said they had no record of him being there since June 6, the affidavit shows.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction