Each spring and fall, Pantone Color Institute announces the colors of the season. This year, for the first time ever, Better Homes and Gardens revealed its 2014 Color Palette of the Year in tandem with the April color issue, on newstands March 18.
The collection of seven colors expresses the most current trends from home to fashion, in hues that work together beautifully in multiple combinations.
To curate the palette, Better Homes and Gardens editors collected colors touted in trend forecasts and at trade shows, including the Color Marketing Group’s International Summit. Then, BHG editors fine-tuned the tones to offer hues that are fresh, livable, and lasting.
“We can all use a little more color in our lives, and vibrant, on-trend color is exciting to try,” says Gayle Butler, editor-in-chief. “Our Color Palette of the Year brings readers a collection of the most on-trend colors that translate beautifully into real homes and rooms. Our collection of seven hues offers unlimited possibilities to find a look and make it your own. ”
Here’s the 2014 Better Homes and Gardens Color Paletteof the Year, and suggested paint hues from a variety of brands.
- COLBALT: It’s the biggest news in fashion, wearable for anyone and any room.
- INDIGO CLOTH 4009-7 (VALSPAR)
- YELLOW: Pulled from the sun, this energetic color brings a happy mood.
- SUNDAY AFTERNOON T14-19 (BEHR)
- LAVENDER: Pale purple with gray undertones make an easy-to-live-with cool color combo.
- OBI LILAC SW6556 (SHERWIN-WILLIAMS)
- APPLE GREEN: This leaf-inspired hue is just like the greens in nature—a colorful neutral.
- ELM VALLEY B32-6 (ACE HARDWARE)
- CHAMBRAY: This mid-range blue hue is timeless and looks great with anything.
- BLUE JEAN 2062-50 (BENJAMIN MOORE)
- CORAL: This pretty poppy explores the trend of adventurous brights.
- HAIKU 4-7 (PRATT & LAMBERT)
- BEIGE: Aim for a naturally warm-toned beige, like pebbles in sand.
- NAVAJO WHITE D12-1 (OLYMPIC)
To celebrate the launch, BHG asks readers to share photos of their favorite color palettes on Instagram using the hashtag #BHGColor to enter the brand’s ‘Fave Color Palette’ photo contest. Each week one winner will receive a $50 Visa gift card, and at the end of the contest, one of those winners will be selected to win the grand prize of $500. Subject to Official Rules and entry can be found at BHG.com/Win.