Biffle leads Chase drivers in Charlotte qualifying
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Greg Biffle won the pole Thursday night for Saturday night's race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the first NASCAR Cup race without an Earnhardt in 33 years.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. is sitting out the next two races after sustaining his second concussion this year during a 25-car car crash last week at Talladega. Regan Smith, who'll drive Earnhardt's No. 88 Chevrolet, qualified 26th.
Biffle turned a track-record lap of 193.708 mph in his No. 16 Ford and will start alongside Mark Martin on the front row for the fifth race in NASCAR's Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.
Ryan Newman was third, followed by Clint Bowyer and Jimmie Johnson.
AJ Allmendinger qualified 38th in his first action since being suspended July 7 for failing a random drug test.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction