Big 12 baseball: League is seeking respect
Big 12 might not be well-represented in the NCAA Tournament. Both OSU and OU are hanging in there by a thread.
With the Big 12 regular season winding to a close, two major story lines dominate the landscape.
How do the top of the standings fall (behind Baylor), with OSU, Texas and Texas A&M currently tied for second place?
NewsOK Related Articles
How many teams will prove worthy of NCAA Tournament berths – and will the list include OU and/or OSU?
As it is now, the Bears, Aggies and Longhorns are generally considered solidly in the field of 64. The Cowboys, who have won 10 of their last 12, might be in, too, with the folks at Perfect Game projecting OSU as a No. 3 seed, at Florida.
OU, on the other hand, is currently out, which is significant considering at least five Big 12 teams have postseason invitations every year since 1997. Last year, the league secured six berths and the conference has been rewarded with as many as eight, in 2009.
But the Big 12's reputation has taken a hit this season, partly due to a shaky head-to-head record against the other power conferences. At one point, the league's RPI was as low as No. 6, although it's up to No. 4 now, yet still behind the ACC, SEC and Pac-12.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister