Big 12 baseball notebook: Three Sooners on All-Big 12 first team
Three Oklahoma players — infielder Garrett Buechele, catcher Tyler Ogle and starting pitcher Michael Rocha — were named to the All-Big 12 first team Tuesday.
Videoview all videos
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley discuss OU's chances of...
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley talk about what the OSU...
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley discuss what teams to look...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma State had one, designated hitter Dane Phillips, and Zach Johnson was named the conference's newcomer of the year.
Texas A&M's Tyler Naquin was named the league's player of the year, while Texas' Taylor Jungmann is the pitcher of the year.
Longhorns third baseman Erich Weiss is the freshman of the year and Texas coach Augie Garrido and Texas A&M coach Rob Childress are co-coaches of the year.
The Cowboys had three players on the second team — Johnson, catcher Jared Womack and utility player Gabe Weidenaar.
Sooners Cameron Seitzer (infielder) and Casey Johnson (outfielder) are on the second team.
Texas Tech's Kelby Tomlinson, of Elgin, also made the second team.
OU pitchers Dillon Overton and Jordan John were name to the all-freshman team.
FUTURE FORMAT UP IN THE AIR
With one less team in the league for baseball next year, the format for the Big 12 Baseball Tournament could be further tweaked in the offseason.
“We'll take a look at things and see if there's a bracket that would allow us to have all nine teams to play in the tournament,” Big 12 Associate Commissioner Bob Burda said Tuesday.
Nebraska is leaving for the Big Ten Conference following this season. In the current eight-team format, just one team would stay home.
The Cornhuskers and Kansas are not in this year's tournament. Iowa State and Colorado do not play baseball.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash