Big 12 baseball notebook: Three Sooners on All-Big 12 first team
Videoview all videos
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley discuss OU's chances of...
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley talk about what the OSU...
May 24Jenni Carlson and John Helsley discuss what teams to look...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
VON SCHAMANN HELPS TECH TO TOURNEY
Texas Tech needed to capture a series victory over Oklahoma State last weekend to keep its NCAA regional hopes alive — and the Red Raiders did it, thanks to the efforts of former Edmond Santa Fe standout Duke von Schamann.
The right-handed freshman, and son of former OU placekicker Uwe von Schamann, pitched a career-high seven innings to lead Tech to a 5-3 over the Cowboys on Sunday in the decisive third game of the series.
He allowed just one earned run and five hits while striking out three and was named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week.
Von Schamann enters the Big 12 Tournament with a 5-0 record.
HILL GETS SOME HELP
Kansas State coach Brad Hill was looking for a way to motivate his team earlier this season.
“I couldn't decide how to do it,” Hill said.
Juggling whether to go for a tougher approach or treat them softly, Hill finally settled on a solution.
“I decided to scare them,” Hill said. “So I brought in coach (Frank) Martin.”
The Wildcats men's basketball coach, known for his intensity, didn't need much time to do the trick.
“It took about two minutes to scare them,” Hill said.
Hill's Wildcats are the No. 6 seed in the tournament.
MIZZOU'S COACH PLEADS HIS CASE
Missouri coach Tim Jamieson asked for some mercy from the conference's other coaches at Tuesday's media luncheon in Bricktown.
“I truly believe there's only one team here that has to win the tournament to get into a regional,” Jamieson said. “And that's us.”
“So Steve, Augie and Frank, keep that in mind this week.”
Jamieson was addressing Baylor's Steve Smith, Texas' Augie Garrido and OSU's Frank Anderson, the three coaches whose teams are in Missouri's bracket.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 60552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32931Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31925Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 12639Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8214Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5947Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3659Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman