Big 12 basketball notebook: Coaches talk expansion
All of the coaches who talked about expansion said they liked the current 10-team league.
NewsOK Related Articles
Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg: “I think a lot of it is with all the technology that people have now and the stats elements that plays a big part on people's game planning. You're trying to do all you can to take away people's strengths.”
TCU coach Trent Johnson: “We don't shoot it very well ... Good teams and well coached teams don't let you run in transition. I think if you look at the parity of college basketball so many teams are so good defensively.”
West Virginia coach Bob Huggins: “Because guys are bigger, stronger, faster than they've ever been. Because they guard way, way better than they've ever guarded. Every time I think when I played — you go back and you watch ESPN classic. Style of play is so different. And the truth is 6-foot-7 guys were centers and now they're small forward. ... Athletically we changed so much, but the size of the court hasn't changed and the height of the basketball hasn't changed.”
*Oklahoma State redshirt sophomore Brian Williams is still day-to-day. “He'll play when he says he's ready,” Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford said.
*The Big 12 has six schools in the Top 44 in RPI, led by Kansas. The league is tied for the most of any conference in the country, along with the Big East and Big Ten.
*Huggins supposedly has a line in his contract that says he gets a $25,000 bonus for beating Kansas. “I have no idea. You have to call my attorney. I had nothing to do with it. Pretty much (I knew about it) when I was ready to sign the contract.”
*Texas coach Rick Barnes just got the Longhorns Network about “two weeks ago” when he moved closer to town. “I've been really happy with it,” the Longhorns coach said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims