Big 12 basketball notebook: Teams are proving that Big 12 is a strong basketball conference
After Kansas and Kansas State, a cluster of teams are vying for the third place in the league.
NORMAN — Teams from around the league agreed that the Big 12 is a solid basketball conference.
Texas Tech coach Chris Walker said he could see five or six teams making it into the NCAA Tournament.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
During the weekly coaches call, which was before any Monday games were played, Kansas ranked first in the conference, then Kansas State and then a cluster of teams — including Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — were all with three Big 12 losses at third.
With so many freshmen, Kansas State coach Bruce Weber said he thinks some people thought this would be a rebuilding year, but with the surges from Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, Baylor's Isaiah Austin and Kansas' Ben McLemore, Weber said that's clearly not the case.
“It's going to be a very competitive second half of the season,” Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg said.
It will all come down to who can win at home and steal victories on the road — and who will make it to March.
“When the league prospers, everyone prospers,” Walker said.
OKSTATE: THE HOTTEST TEAM IN THE CONFERENCE
The mention of Oklahoma State got a lot of coaches talking.
Both Smart and Markel Brown received high praise from coaches such as Hoiberg and Baylor coach Scott Drew.
“Markel's one of those players that when he gets going it's really hard to stop them,” Drew said. “In our place, he obviously didn't play like he did at Kansas. Their team is very capable of having big games. That's what makes them so dangerous that at the end of the night, they have someone that can score 20 or 25.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister