Big 12 football’s regular season is over, and the efficiency ratings are in. Baylor had the Big 12′s best offense. OSU had the Big 12′s best defense.
Remember, efficiency measures how often an offense scores, with full credit for a touchdown, half credit for a field goal. It also measures how often a defense gets off the field without allowing a score, with half credit for a field goal. And only conference games count.
Here are the rankings:
1. Baylor .439
2. Kansas State .380
3. OSU .325
4. OU .304
5. Texas .290
6. Texas Tech .287
7. West Virginia .252
8. Iowa State .220
9. TCU .207
10. Kansas .158
* The difference between the OSU and OU offenses proved to be not much.
* Baylor’s offensive productivity is the only vestige of the old Big 12 days, when offense was a runaway mine train.
* Texas Tech isn’t going much of anywhere if its offense is not in the upper half of the Big 12. And neither is West Virginia.
* TCU has got to get a lot better on offense, else it’s destined for perpetual mediocrity.
1. OSU .174
2. TCU .188
3. Baylor .235
4. Texas .242
5. OU .255
6. Kansas State .295
7. Iowa State .321
8. West Virginia .350
9. Texas Tech .352
10. Kansas .366
* The Cowboys wasted a great opportunity. They had the Big 12′s best defense. With seven seniors starting, they won’t have the Big 12′s best defense next season.
* TCU had a big-time defense, too. But its offense was so bad, nobody noticed.
* Baylor, too, was loaded with defensive experience. Expect a drop from the Bears.
* OU’s defense rose to the occasion in Bedlam, but otherwise, it wasn’t anything special. The Sooners need that to change if they are to win the Big 12 next year.
If you combine the efficiency standings, the Big 12 ranks this way:
3. Kansas State
7. Texas Tech
8. West Virginia
9. Iowa State
Baylor was right on. OSU tied for second. But Kansas State placed fifth; OU and Texas tied OSU for second. TCU tied Iowa State and West Virginia for seventh.
The discrepancies tell you two things: 1) Who played well in the kicking game? Efficiency ratings don’t factor in the kicking game. For instance, the kicking game definitely lifted OU past OSU in Bedlam. 2) Who won the close games? OU won four of its Big 12 games by single digits. Texas won three by 10 points or less. Meanwhile, TCU lost five by 10 points or less, including four by three points or less.