Big 12's offensive explosion means one thing: The league isn't ready to play big-boy football
The conference has a problem. You can win in the Big 12 with offense alone. Six Big 12 games this season have been won by teams that allowed 45 points in regulation. But such football is going to end in heartache for the Big 12. It's always going to end in heartache.
Videoview all videos
Nov 25In his last game on Owen Field, OU senior quarterback...
Nov 25Gina Mizell and Jenni Carlson break down the loss for the...
Nov 25What was the difference in the crazy Bedlam victory for...
Photoview all 104 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
And yet the OU coaches can't find a linebacker they want to put on the field and are about to run out of defensive linemen.
The hurryup offense has been effective for five years. But it comes at a cost. It pads the opponent's opportunity, too, and chips away at defensive confidence.
And it's not just the Sooners. Look at OSU on Saturday. Tied at 17-17 late in the first half, the Cowboys drove inside the OU 20-yard line — and then sped up the no-huddle offense. Two quick runs by Joe Randle, 10 and four yards, produced a touchdown. But 1:23 remained on the clock.
Landry needed 1:10 of it to take the Sooners 75 yards in seven plays for the tying touchdown. What was the hurry? First-and-goal at the 4-yard line, give your defense a break. Take your time.
The Sooners ran 103 plays in Bedlam, including 101 in regulation. And that's with a punt return for a touchdown, which took away a possession.
OU ran 76 plays against Notre Dame; 70 against Kansas State. The Sooners had 44 first downs in Bedlam.
Big 12 coaches have to prioritize defense. Prioritize in recruiting, in strategy, in emphasis.
Else we're going to keep seeing these instant classics that lead to heartbreak.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister