Bike giveaways inspire Yukon resident
John Ballard, of Yukon, has been giving away bikes at Christmas for five years, but the project is more than just a once-a-year activity.
YUKON — John Ballard doesn't move around like he used to, but the 62-year-old Yukon resident is as busy as ever getting ready for Christmas.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Ballard isn't doing any shopping. He's busy fixing up old lawn mowers, grass trimmers and just about anything else with a motor in an effort to raise money for his Bikes for Kids charity.
For the past five years, Ballard has provided new bikes for needy kids. This year he estimates he'll provide about 200 new bikes to those who simply ask for them. The money for the bikes comes largely from his pocket, though some local businesses have helped.
It all started with Ballard repairing a few bikes for neighborhood kids.
“Kids started coming here and getting their bikes fixed,” he said. “When I was a kid I didn't even have a bike. So I started going to the dumps and finding bikes and fixing them up to give to kids. We realized we didn't have parts so that's when we started working on the mowers and Weedeaters and started selling them.”
Ballard's home has some Christmas decorations up. The backyard is filled with old bikes in the process of being restored. Throughout the rest of the year, Ballard will fix them up and distribute them to whoever asks. He recently outfitted a needy family of four with free bikes. But Christmas is different.
“I want the kids to have nice, new bike for Christmas that's all theirs,” he said.
Ballard has a few helping hands to get that done. His wife, Donna, son, Denny Ballard and stepson Ben O'Dea are all active in getting bikes out to kids.
Denny Ballard is limited physically because of spina bifida but is a whiz at fixing small engines. He's seen the smiling faces and gratitude of those who receive the bikes.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley