Biking trail overlooking Grand Canyon to expand
FREDONIA, Ariz. (AP) — A popular mountain biking trail that overlooks the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is being extended.
The 18-mile Rainbow Rim trail on the Kaibab National Forest is a single-track trail that passes through ponderosa pines and drops into steep-sided canyons with aspen groves and small meadows.
Forest spokesman Patrick Lair says it's the only trail designed for mountain bikers that follows the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, although hikers and horseback riders use it as well.
Work to extend the trail by up to 8 miles to create a loop is set to begin in June, if funding is available.
The Rainbow Rim trail was constructed in the 1980s.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 64632Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14648Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8984Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7016Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6971How to help tornado victims
- 6471Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6275Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes