Bill Clinton raises $750,000 in Seattle for Inslee
SEATTLE (AP) — Former President Bill Clinton came to Seattle on Saturday hoping to perform the same trick for Washington's Democratic candidate for governor that he did for President Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention: giving a big boost in a tight race.
Jay Inslee, a seven-term congressman, is facing Republican Attorney General Rob McKenna in what is considered one of the closest gubernatorial races in the country this year. Heading into the weekend, each had raised about $8.6 million, but Clinton's appearance added $750,000 to Inslee's tally, his campaign said.
Clinton spoke to more than 3,000 people at the Washington state convention center, telling them that Inslee has the right vision for creating clean energy and biotechnology jobs. He praised what he described as Inslee's 75-point plan for the economy, which includes creating a state office for economic competitiveness, allowing workers to create "lifelong learning accounts" with matching contributions from their employers, and giving tax breaks to IT and biotech startups.
"It makes an enormous amount of sense," Clinton said. "If you make Jay Inslee your governor, he'll try to do every single one of those 75 things on that list he gave you."
Tickets started at $150, and attendees could get their picture taken with the former president for $5,000.
Clinton devoted a solid portion of his 20-minute talk to climate issues, noting that some Pacific and Caribbean nations most immediately threatened by global warming "are not mocking the rising of the seas." He praised Inslee's book on clean technology, "Apollo's Fire," for laying out a strategy to boost the economy while fighting climate change.
He also hit on many of the themes he discussed during his speech at the convention, saying no president could have fixed the mess Obama inherited in just four years and criticizing Republicans for attempting to cut the debt by reducing taxes on the wealthy.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister