Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2336Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 2282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
| Published: February 14, 2013
DEAR DR. GRAHAM: I've always felt that if people from different nations could just get to know each other we could bring an end to wars and conflicts. But I'm beginning to have my doubts. Will wars ever cease, according to the Bible?
DEAR MRS. F.M.: We should encourage every effort to bring peace to our world, and the Bible certainly urges us to pray for peace and support those who work for peace. One reason the Bible commands us to pray for our leaders is so “we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness” (1 Timothy 2:2).
But the Bible also warns us that we will never bring about a complete end to wars and conflicts — not until Jesus Christ returns to establish His Kingdom of perfect justice and righteousness. Why is this? The reason is because wars don't come about just because we don't understand each other, or because some people have less than others. These may contribute to conflicts but they aren't the basic cause.
Instead, wars ultimately come from within ourselves — from within our own hearts and minds. Pride, greed, envy, jealousy, lust for power — all these can lead to wars and conflicts, and they all come from within the human heart. The Bible says, “What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?” (James 4:1).