Billy Tubbs applauds Thunder for getting Kendrick Perkins
Newly acquired Thunder center Kendrick Perkins is about to become an extremely popular player in Oklahoma, but he already had a longtime fan from this state while growing up in Beaumont, Texas.
Videoview all videos
Feb 26A recap of the All-Star break, the trades and a look...
Feb 25Thunder's Sam Presti talks about the recent trades and...
Feb 25Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel talk about how Kendrick...
Feb 24Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel discuss who the Thunder...
Feb 24Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel discuss the trades the...
Photoview all 25 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Former OU basketball coach Billy Tubbs watched from the stands during Perkins' senior season at Clifton J. Ozen High School in 2003. It was the year Tubbs returned to Beaumont to start his second stint as Lamar's coach.
"Kendrick is really, really a good kid," Tubbs said Thursday night after learning of the trade that sent the 6-foot-10, 280-pound Perkins from Boston to the Thunder. "He comes out during the summers and plays against the guys from Lamar. He has a camp in Beaumont.
"He's big and he's a hard worker, but he's also a great person. He really is. I think that's a great move for the Thunder."
Fact is, Tubbs went back one generation with the Perkins family.
Tubbs recruited Perkins' father, Kenneth, to play at Lamar, where he went on to become a three-time, second-team, all-conference selection (1982-84). "He was a good player," Tubbs said.
Dubbed "Baby Shaq" coming out of high school, the heavily recruited Kendrick Perkins averaged 27.5 points and 16.4 rebounds as a senior and chose to sign a national letter of intent with Memphis over Texas and Texas A&M. He went 96-3 his last three years in high school.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad