LONDON (AP) — Mohamed bin Hammam resigned from all soccer-related posts and received a new lifetime ban from FIFA on Monday, perhaps closing one of the most damaging corruption scandals to hit the sport's world governing body.
Bin Hammam, a FIFA executive committee member from Qatar who challenged incumbent Sepp Blatter for the presidency last year, gave up his long-running dispute with the organization after being found guilty by FIFA of "repeated violations" of its code of ethics while head of the Asian Football Confederation.
FIFA said the 63-year-old bin Hammam sent a resignation letter to both FIFA and the AFC on Saturday.
"Mr. Mohamed bin Hammam ... has resigned from all his positions in football with immediate effect and will never be active in organized football again," a FIFA statement said.
Bin Hammam, who has always denied wrongdoing, had no immediate comment on FIFA's announcement.
Controversy has swirled around bin Hammam in recent years — he had also been fighting a separate life ban imposed by FIFA following allegations he offered bribes to voters when running against Blatter.
FIFA said the second life ban is a result of the final report from the chairman of its ethics committee, Michael J. Garcia.
"That report showed repeated violations of Article 19 (Conflict of Interest) of the FIFA Code of Ethics of Mohamed bin Hammam during his terms as AFC President and as member of the FIFA executive committee in the years 2008 to 2011, which justified a life-long ban from all football-related activity," the statement said.
Get A Chance to Earn £87/h - start today! Make Money 30 mins from now!