Biographical details on Pa. statewide candidates
Biographical details about Pennsylvania's major-party candidates for statewide office in Tuesday's election:
NAME: Robert P. Casey Jr.
EDUCATION: B.A., English, Holy Cross (1982); J.D., The Catholic University of America (1988).
EXPERIENCE: Private law practice, Scranton (1990-96); state auditor general, Pennsylvania (1997-2005); state treasurer, Pennsylvania (2005-2007); United States senator (2007-current).
FAMILY: Casey and his wife, Terese, have four daughters and live in Scranton.
NAME: Thomas Joel Smith
EDUCATION: Elderton High School (1965).
EXPERIENCE: operator, Smith family farm (1965-present); member, Plumcreek Township board of supervisors (1974-81); coal mine heavy-equipment operator (1975-89); founder and president, Thomas J. Smith Inc. mining company (1989-2011); founder and president, TJS Mining Inc. (1990-2011); founder and president, TJ Smith Trucking Inc. (1992-present); founder and treasurer, TJS Coal Sales Inc. (1997-2011); owner, Northern Elk Development LLC (1997-present); founder and president, Penn View Mining Inc. (2000-11).
FAMILY: Tom and his wife, Sandy, live in Shelocta. They have seven children.
NAME: Kathleen Kane
EDUCATION: B.S., international studies, University of Scranton (1988); law degree, Temple University Law School (1993).
EXPERIENCE: Private law practice, Philadelphia (1991-95); assistant district attorney, Lackawanna County (1995-2007).
FAMILY: Kane and her husband, Chris, live in Clarks Summit, in Lackawanna County. They have two sons.
NAME: David Freed
EDUCATION: B.A., American history and journalism, Washington and Lee University (1992); J.D., Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law (1995).
EXPERIENCE: Private law practice, Carlisle and Harrisburg areas (1996-97, 1999-2001); York County deputy prosecutor, (1997-98); Cumberland County assistant district attorney, (1998-2005); Cumberland County district attorney (2005-present).
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense